How I Decorated My Entire Apartment For Under $250


I am as broke as a joke. Currently, I am an unemployed college student who uses the library's computer to write essays because I do not have one. Also, I bypassed buying my textbooks because I would prefer to use my scholarship money to eat real food, not Ramen. Despite this, I have a beautifully decorated apartment (I may be biased here, but under the circumstances, I think it is quite impressive). Is it my dream apartment? No! Would I prefer to have a leather sofa, a larger TV, adequate storage for my shoes, and carpet that doesn't resemble my daily oatmeal? Yes! BUT, it is mine, it appears to be more expensive than it actually is, and it is something I am proud of. So how did I even afford to purchase the nails used to hang any of my décor pieces, you ask? Here's how:

1.) I Learned to Appreciate the Beauty of Free Stuff

My couch is from the 1970's. It is hideous, but it was free. My grandma's neighbor was giving it away. It has a practically new hide-a-bed inside, and with some work (not my work; I sat in the corner of the room while my grandmother practically slaved over the wonderful cover that you see pictured), it became beautiful. The hammock chair in my living room belongs to my boyfriend, which he received as a Christmas present one year. Most of the items on my shelves are random knickknacks that would otherwise be placed in storage. Perfume bottles, jarred pasta sauce from the grocery store that have been de-labeled and rinsed out, mementos from past vacations, pinecones from your backyard, etc. can all be used to decorate your home. Basically, if it was free, figure out a way to use it.
***DISCLAIMER: Do not simply accept people's junk just because it is free. If it can't be painted or refurbished, do not take it. If you do, you'll be surrounded by clutter and all motivation to live in a beautiful environment will disappear.

2.) I Never Buy ANYTHING Full-Price

When it comes to décor, I only shop in the clearance aisle. Okay, well I mostly shop the clearance aisle. In January of last year, I found the tackiest seasonal pillows for $.50 at Ross on clearance. FIFTY CENTS ON CLEARANCE. All I had to do was create a pillow cover out of cheap fabric, or simply turn them backwards to hide the hideous designs on the front. Throw pillows easily run for $15+, and I have even seen some in the $50 price point. FIFTY DOLLARS? FOR A DECORATIVE PILLOW? SERIOUSLY? WAS IT MADE FROM THE TEARS OF UNICORNS? Honestly, if you have purchased a throw pillow for fifty dollars, I think you are stupid, and I am not even going to apologize for that thought. But, if you are reading this post, then obviously you have changed your ways, so I commend you for that.

I found the coolest lamp at Target with an outlet on the side--just like the ones at hotels-- for only $9.00. If I shop clearance, my money goes a lot farther. What's the point in having an expensively beautiful shelf from Pottery Barn if I cannot afford to put any decorations on it? However, if you find something that you cannot live without, buy it. Usually, if it's full price, I put it back and think about it for a couple of days. If I want it badly enough to drag my lazy butt off the couch and back to the store, then it's worth it to pay full price. If I get there and they've sold out, then it wasn't meant to be. Usually, that thing that I claimed was "to die for," has vanished from my memory by the time I get to the car. This method has saved me so much money.
Here's one of the 50 cent pillows that I bought. I was too lazy to cover it, so I turned it backwards.


3.) I Pay Attention to Value, Not Price

Obviously price is vital when trying to stay within a budget. However, value is more important. For example, I paid only $10 for my coffee table, which I painted, and it looks fantastic. That being said, my friend purchased a similar one for $20, it is real wood, and it is significantly more sturdy than mine. Also, she did not have to paint hers. I got a better deal, but she got a better value. While the tag might reflect a cheap price, it may not be worth it. Always weigh your options, and compare price and value before making a purchase. Doing this could save you replacement purchases in the future.

4.) I Shop Second-Hand and Discount Stores

Flea markets, thrift stores, yard sales, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Craigslist, Ross, TJMaxx, etc. are a budget decorator's best friend. You can often find gems at these places. I have a mercury glass pumpkin from TJMaxx that I paid $12 for, and would have easily bought for double or triple that price elsewhere. You can also find great furniture pieces if you look hard enough. I  found the cutest chair for $5.00 at Savers, which is a thrift store that often has junk. My friend Emma bought the comfiest couch second-hand from a stranger in our city. She paid under $300, and it was only a couple of months old. Usually, I advise against buying used furniture that is upholstered because bedbugs, MRSA, and cigarette-smoke are very real. However, there are exceptions, so do not be afraid to look. Mostly, I buy knickknacks, frames, wooden furniture, and wall décor second hand.

This chair was $5. I didn't even reupholster it myself. It came this clean and pretty!


5.) I Invest My Time

If I invest my time, I do not have to invest as much money. If you've read this far, you'll notice that most of the items that I used as examples were ugly things that I took time to refurbish. Never underestimate the power of a little paint. Also, take your time to explore all of your options, especially with the big things. Do not buy the first television or sofa that you think is a good price. Time is not money; time is saving money.

These are the rules I followed when decorating my apartment! I hope some of these help you create your dream home for a fraction of the price!
xoxo,
Haylie Michelle

Comments

Popular Posts